Below you will find information on USPS, UPS/DHL/OnTrac, FedEx, online merchant mail delivery, and information for graduate students.
U.S. Mail Delivery: Rent a P.O. Box
In order to receive U.S. mail on campus, students living in undergraduate residences must rent a P.O. Box at the Stanford Post Office, located on campus. Students living in graduate residences can receive mail at their residence (see the section for Graduate Students below). Students must have a U.S. billing address to be able to rent a P.O. Box online, otherwise, a P.O. Box can be purchased using U.S. dollars once on campus.
Instructions for making a reservation online are available below (because you cannot designate a start date, do not make a reservation until at least mid-May).
Stanford Post Office Location (located next to the Stanford University Bookstore):
Stanford Post Office
531 Lasuen Mall
Stanford, CA 94305
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (package pick-up only)
*P.O. Boxes can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week
How to Rent a P.O. Box:
P.O. Boxes are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. A U.S. debit or credit card is required.
1) Go to www.usps.com. In the top tab, click on “Track & Manage,” then select “Rent or Renew PO Box” from the drop down menu.
2) In the Zip Code search box, enter “94305”, and change the “Search Post Offices within:” drop down menu to 1 mile. Click the “Search” button.
3) “Post Office – STANFORD” should appear as the only choice. DO NOT choose any other location. Choose the P.O. Box size you would like, and select “3 months” for the length of time. Pay attention to the “Special message” at the bottom: your 3 month contract for the P.O. Box will automatically renew unless a Permanent Change of Address card is submitted to the Post Office at least three weeks prior to your departure (refer to the “How to Cancel Automatic Renewal of your P.O. Box” section below). Click the “Continue” button.
4) If you have an existing account with USPS, enter your username and password, then click the “Sign In” button. If you do not have an account with USPS, click on the “Sign Up Now” button and create your account.
5) Fill out the PO Boxes Online Application. Take special note of the “two required forms of ID” link. Information about how to verify your Stanford address is detailed on the next page. In addition, be sure your payment period is 3 months. Lastly, read the Privacy Act Statement and check the box that you have read and agree to it. Click “Submit” to apply.
How to Access your P.O. Box:
Once you have rented a P.O. Box online, you can go to the Stanford Post Office to pick up your P.O. Box key, starting on Monday, June 22. You will need to show two valid IDs: one photo ID and one non-photo ID that verifies your Stanford campus address. Your ID must be current and contain sufficient information to confirm that you are who you claim to be.
1) Acceptable photo IDs are:
- Valid driver’s license or state non-driver’s identification card
- Armed Forces, Government, University, or recognized corporate identification card
- Passport, passport card, alien registration card, or certificate of naturalization
Social Security cards, credit cards, Stanford ID cards, school ID cards and birth certificates are not acceptable IDs.
2) Acceptable Non-Photo ID (to verify physical Stanford address):
- Housing Assignment Confirmation email (this is sent to your Stanford email address)
Using your P.O. Box:
P.O. Boxes can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The U.S. Post Office sorts mail into recipients’ P.O. Boxes. For U.S. mail parcels and U.S. Express Mail deliveries, a card will be put into the P.O. Box to notify the recipient that a package is waiting for pick-up.
If you are receiving items through the U.S. Postal Service, please address as follows:
531 Lasuen Mall
P.O. Box (insert your box number here)
Stanford, CA 94309 (note that while the ZIP code for the rest of the campus is 94305, the ZIP code for the Post Office is 94309)
If you are planning to ship items as you move to campus, please keep in mind that it is not possible to receive packages until after you arrive. Therefore, do not send your belongings in advance of your arrival. Packages that arrive before you do will be returned to the sender.
How to Cancel Automatic Renewal of your P.O. Box:
Your 3 month contract for the P.O. Box will automatically renew and charge your debit or credit card. To cancel automatic renewal, complete the following steps:
1) Submit a Permanent Change of Address card (available in the lobby of all U.S. Post Offices) to the Post Office at least three weeks prior to your departure (this service is free, but can take up to three weeks to be processed). Be sure to enter a Stop Date.
2) Turn in your P.O. Box key before your departure.
For deliveries through FedEx, DHL, and other non-USPS services please refer to the Mail & Deliveries instructions on the Housing website.