Information and Deadlines
Housing assignments are handled by the Stanford Student Housing Office and descriptions of residence choices are available for you to view. Please refer to the “Single Graduate Housing” section (those who have or will have a Bachelor’s Degree by the start of classes are considered graduate students).
We strongly encourage all of our residential students to apply for summer housing during the first round application period, which begins on April 12 and ends on May 11. Applications for housing are processed using a lottery system, so your chance of obtaining your first choice housing option is the same as long as you apply by the May 11 deadline. Students who apply during the Summer Waiting List application period are still given a high priority for assignment.
Applications available May 30 – July 21
Results announced daily
Important details to keep in mind:
- Residences will open for occupancy on Saturday, June 24 at 11 am. We advise all students to arrive on this day, if possible.
- All students are expected to arrive on campus no later than Sunday, June 25 at 5 pm, but must arrive by Monday, June 26.
- Housing for the eight-week session ends on Sunday, August 20 at 8 am.
- If you would like to request Medical/Disability accommodation, the paperwork and housing application must be submitted to the Office of Accessible Education by April 21.
- Information about Welcome Weekend appears in your Program Handbook, and additional details about check-in will be provided via email in early June.
Step-by-Step Housing Instructions:
Access the Housing Application
- Log in to your Axess account using your SUNet ID and password.
- In the Student Tab, under the “Housing & Dining” heading, click on the “R&DE Portal” button. This will open up a new window. Please take note of the deadlines listed.
- On the left-hand side, click “Apply for Housing.”
Section 1: Term & Category
Select an application term: Click “Summer Quarter 2017.”
Select the type of housing: Click “Single Graduate Student” (the Housing Office requires students to be housed in Graduate Housing if they have or will have a Bachelor’s Degree by the start of classes). However, if you require Couple or Family Housing, choose the appropriate option. Please note that these latter two categories are more limited and are not guaranteed.
Section 2: Details
Assignment Priority Information: Please read this line carefully! You are given highest housing priority if you apply by the first round deadline of May 11 and check the final choice button that you are willing to live in any residence for which you are eligible. Students who do not apply by May 11 can still apply for housing. Summer Session students receive a high priority for housing assignments.
Summer Contract Length: Most students will select “8 week contract (June 24 – August 20)” – please note, Summer Session students are NOT permitted to apply for 10 week contracts. However, there are some exceptions:
- For students who need a special contract length that does not appear in this list, such as a 9-week contract for the Organic Chemistry sequence, please select “Other/Special Contract Length.” After a housing application is submitted, these students must then click on “Petitions” on the left-hand menu, choose “Summer Housing Contract Change Request” from the drop-down menu, and select the third button to request a non-standard contract. At this point you will enter in the courses you are (or will be) enrolled in. Your course enrollment will be verified by the Housing Office before a contract is made.
Interim Housing: Stanford Summer Session students are not allowed to apply for Interim Housing. Please select “No.”
Preferences: You must select an answer for each question. Please answer these questions
honestly and thoughtfully, as they will be used in determining roommate assignments.
Section 3: Residence Choices
Groups: If two to four students have a preference to be in housing together you can apply as a group. Submitting applications as part of a group does not guarantee that you will be housed together but it will be considered. Otherwise, select “I am not applying with a group.”
- One member of the group will need to select “I am creating a new group,” create a group name, and set a group password. The student creating the group will need to completely finish and submit their application before other group members can apply as part of the group. The group creator should share the group name and password with other members of the group.
- After the group creator’s application has been submitted, additional group members will select “I am joining an existing group,” select the group name, and enter the password.
- All group members must list their Residence Choices in the same order. Otherwise, you will only be evaluated as a group for the residences in which your preference is the same.
Residence Choices: Select residence choices by clicking the “Add” button. The Summer Housing website lists the descriptions of residence choices. Once residences are in the “My Choices” section, reorder them by preference. Please note that Munger Graduate Residences and Escondido Village studio and two-bedroom triple occupancy apartments are not required to be listed in “My Choices”, nor will you be assigned to these residences even when checking the final choice button that you are willing to live in any residence. However, if you are interested in assignment to these residences, you must specifically list them.
Final Choice: Please read this line carefully! In order to be have the highest housing priority, you must select “Yes, I am willing to accept any other assignment.” Even if you have already selected all residence choices for which you are eligible (besides the exceptions listed above), it is imperative that this button is selected as well.
Section 4: Review
Review: At this point you will be able to review everything you selected in your application. Please review all of your selections carefully. Double-check that you selected “Yes” as your Final Choice. If you need to go back and edit your application, do so now.
Housing Agreement: Review this section carefully. Please take special note of the housing cancellation fees. Once you have read and understand the residence agreement, select the “Yes” button at the bottom of the page, indicating that you agree to the conditions of your assignment. Click “Submit.”
Section 5: Confirmation
Congratulations! You have submitted your housing application for Summer 2017. This application can be viewed and edited up until the appropriate application deadline. To edit your application, click on the “Edit” button on the left-hand side of the page.
Results will be posted in Axess starting May 27 (June 6 for Summer Waiting List application period)—you are responsible for checking your Axess account. As a courtesy, the Housing Office will also send an email to your Stanford email address. Please refer to the Stanford Student Housing website for more information.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is possible that students will be unassigned during the first-round Summer Lottery, even when the application was submitted by the first-round deadline. In this case, you will retain your application number and housing priority as long as you 1) log into your housing application in Axess and join the Summer Waiting List application period by May 29, and 2) select that you are willing to accept any residence for which you are eligible. At the latest, first-round students will receive an assignment before the end of the first week of school.