Information and Deadlines
Housing assignments are handled by the Stanford Student Housing Office and descriptions of residence choices are available for you to view. Please refer to the “Single Undergraduate Housing” section. Residences open to visiting summer students are Governor’s Corner Suites, Sterling Quad, and Independent Houses.
We strongly encourage all of our residential students to apply for summer housing during the first round application period, which begins on April 12 and ends on May 8. Applications for housing are processed using a lottery system, so your chance of obtaining your first choice housing option is the same as long as you apply by the May 8 deadline. If you don’t apply in this first-round housing application period, you will not be guaranteed a housing assignment. Students who apply during the Summer Waiting List application period are no longer guaranteed housing, but are given a high priority for assignment.
First-Round Summer Lottery:
Applications available April 12 – May 8
Single Undergrad results announced May 25
Single Graduate, Couples, and Students with Children results announced May 27
Applications applications available May 30 – July 21
Results announced daily
Important details to keep in mind:
- Residences will open for occupancy on Saturday, June 24 at 11 am. We advise all students to arrive on this day, if possible.
- All students are expected to arrive on campus no later than Sunday, June 25 at 5 pm, but must arrive by Monday, June 26.
- Housing for the eight-week session ends on Sunday, August 20 at 8 am.
- If you would like to request Medical/Disability accommodation, the paperwork and housing application must be submitted to the Office of Accessible Education by April 21.
- Information about Welcome Weekend appears in your Program Handbook, and additional details about check-in will be provided via email in early June.
Step-by-Step Housing Instructions:
Access the Housing Application
- Log in to your Axess account using your SUNet ID and password.
- In the Student Tab, under the “Housing & Dining” heading, click on the “R&DE Portal” button. This will open up a new window. Please take note of the deadlines listed.
- On the left-hand side, click “Apply for Housing.”
Section 1: Term & Category
Select an application term: Click “Summer Quarter 2017.”
Select the type of housing: Click “Single Undergraduate.” However, if you require Couple or Family Housing, choose the appropriate option. Please note that these latter two categories are more limited and are not guaranteed.
Section 2: Details
Assignment Priority Information: Please read this line carefully! You are only guaranteed housing if you apply by the first round deadline of May 8 and answer the Final Choice question as “Yes,” you are willing to live in any residence for which you are eligible. Students who do not apply by May 8 can still apply for housing. Though housing is no longer guaranteed, Summer Session students receive a high priority for assignments.
Summer Contract Length: Most students will select “8 week contract (June 24 – August 20)” – please note, Summer Session students are NOT permitted to apply for 10 week contracts. However, there are some exceptions:
- For students who need a special contract length that does not appear in this list, such as a 9-week contract for the Organic Chemistry sequence, please select “Other/Special Contract Length.” After a housing application is submitted, these students must then click on “Petitions” on the left-hand menu, choose “Summer Housing Contract Change Request” from the drop-down menu, and select the third button to request a non-standard contract. At this point you will enter in the courses you are (or will be) enrolled in. Your course enrollment will be verified by the Housing Office before a contract is made.
Interim Housing: Stanford Summer Session students are not allowed to apply for Interim Housing. Please select “No.”
Preferences: You must select an answer for each question. Please answer these questions
honestly and thoughtfully, as they will be used in determining roommate assignments.
Section 3: Residence Choices
Groups: If two to four students have a preference to be in housing together you can apply as a group. Submitting applications as part of a group does not guarantee that you will be housed together but it will be considered. Otherwise, select “I am not applying with a group.”
- One member of the group will need to select “I am creating a new group,” create a group name, and set a group password. The student creating the group will need to completely finish and submit their application before other group members can apply as part of the group. The group creator should share the group name and password with other members of the group.
- After the group creator’s application has been submitted, additional group members will select “I am joining an existing group,” select the group name, and enter the password.
- All group members must list their Residence Choices in the same order. Otherwise, you will only be evaluated as a group for the residences in which your preference is the same.
Residence Choices: Select residence choices by clicking the “Add” button. The Summer Housing website lists the descriptions of residence choices. Once residences are in the “My Choices” section, reorder them by preference.
Please note you are not required to list any residence preferences to be guaranteed housing. If you do not list any preferences but check “Yes, I am willing to accept any other assignment” then all housing options will be weighed equally. Additionally, you will not be guaranteed to be assigned to these residences even when checking the final choice button that you are willing to live in any residence.
Residences not available to Stanford Summer Session students:
- Lagunita Court
- Gerhard Casper Quad
- Governor’s Corner Suites (8-week applicants only; not open to 9-week Organic Chemistry students)
- Stanford Summer College residences
Final Choice: Please read this line carefully! In order to be guaranteed housing, you
must select “Yes, I am willing to accept any other assignment.” Even if you have
already set preferences for all residence choices for which you are eligible, it is imperative that this button is selected, or a housing assignment is not guaranteed.
Section 4: Review
Review: At this point you will be able to review everything you selected in your application. Please review all of your selections carefully. Double-check that you selected “Yes” as your Final Choice. If you need to go back and edit your application, do so now.
Housing Agreement: Review this section carefully. Please take special note of the housing cancellation fees. Once you have read and understand the residence agreement, select the “Yes” button at the bottom of the page, indicating that you agree to the conditions of your assignment. Click “Submit.”
Section 5: Confirmation
Congratulations! You have submitted your housing application for Summer 2017. This application can be viewed and edited up until the appropriate application deadline. To edit your application, click on the “Edit” button on the left-hand side of the page.
Results will be posted in Axess starting May 25 (June 6 for Summer Waiting List application period)—you are responsible for checking your Axess account. As a courtesy, the Housing Office will also send an email to your Stanford email address. Please refer to the Stanford Housing website for more information.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is possible that students will be unassigned during the first-round Summer Lottery, even when the application was submitted by the first-round deadline. In this case, you will retain your application number and housing guarantee as long as you 1) log into your housing application in Axess and join the Summer Waiting List application period by May 29, and 2) select that you are willing to accept any residence for which you are eligible. At the latest, guaranteed students will receive an assignment before the end of the first week of school.