Your Summer in Silicon Valley
How will you change the world? Silicon Valley Innovation Academy (SVIA) provides you with the mindset, skill set, and network you need to invent the future.
Stanford University lies at the heart of Silicon Valley–physically and intellectually. Since its founding, the University has focused on training the next generation of innovative leaders. With a student body drawn from around the world, today’s Stanford is “a place for learning, discovery, innovation, [and] expression.” Whether you already know how you’re going to change the world, or you’re still searching for your passion, Stanford’s Silicon Valley Innovation Academy will help you to develop the right mindset and skills needed.
SVIA offers a limited number of Summer Session students the experience of team-based moonshot project while at Stanford. Across seven weeks, you’ll hone your leadership abilities in a team, in which you’ll explore, prototype, and communicate a world-changing, innovation opportunity. SVIA supports your journey through weekly, hands-on coaching sessions and deliverables. The program culminates with the SVIA innovation showcase, where each team presents their ideas openly to the broader Silicon Valley public and Stanford community.
What to Expect
Each week, you will engage in activities that will help move your vision and team forward, using the same models that real visionaries and founders use.
Your core activity each week is your team’s Small Group Meeting (SGM). Held in the world-famous ME310 loft (the home of Stanford’s 52-year-old-and-still-going, award-winning Mechanical Engineering Design course), your team will rapidly spin up on a new way of analyzing and advancing your vision, followed by a rapid prototyping session with the support of SVIA coaches and industry experts. During the SGM, your team will be asked to provide feedback to other teams’ advancing visions, helping them to iterate more rapidly and developing your own team’s analysis abilities.
Outside of the SGM, each week will see a number of invitation-only events for SVIA participants, ranging from:
- Round Zero lunches — small group lunches featuring a young, Silicon Valley-based innovator as the special guest that get to the heart of how to thrive in the Valley.
- Social Club evenings — informal times for SVIA participants to meet over coffee (or beverage of choice) and discover more about each other, along with the ideas and visions being explored.
- Chalk Talks — quick primers that focus on bringing an experienced Silicon Valley innovator ‘into the classroom’ for a deep dive into their expertise. Prior topics include prototyping, building a team, and more.
- The Big Industry Panel — a 90-minute evening panel during which you get to hear a select group of young industry leaders discuss how Silicon Valley really works.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to SVIA, your only opportunity to do so is within the Summer Session application. SVIA is an enrichment program to supplement the courses you take as a part of Summer Session. Thus, you cannot be in SVIA unless you are also admitted to Summer Session as a high school, undergraduate or graduate student and are taking courses.
You can expect to dedicate about 50 hours throughout seven weeks on SVIA. We recommend that undergraduate/graduate students in SVIA enroll in no more than 10 units of courses and High School students in SVIA enroll in no more than 8-9 units.
There is a $1,375 program fee for participating in SVIA. Please see the refund schedule below for more information.
Payment and Refund Policy
The $1,375 SVIA fee will be charged to your University tuition bill.
If you drop SVIA but remain in Summer Session
- If you drop SVIA by June 2 at 8:59 pm Pacific Time, you will not be charged the SVIA fee (or you will be refunded the SVIA fee if you already paid the $1,375 fee on your tuition bill).
- If you drop SVIA between June 2 at 9 pm Pacific Time and June 22 at 8:59 pm Pacific Time, then you will be charged $687.50 on your tuition bill (or you will be given a $687.50 if you already paid the $1,375 SVIA fee on your tuition bill).
- If you drop SVIA on June 22 at 9 pm Pacific Time or later, you will be charged the full $1,375 program fee (or you will not receive a SVIA fee refund if you already paid the $1,375 SVIA fee on your tuition bill)
If you withdraw from Summer Session
If you withdraw from Stanford Summer Session (and thus also SVIA) by June 22 at 8:59 pm Pacific Time, you will not be charged the $1,375 SVIA fee (or will be refunded the SVIA fee if you already paid the fee on your tuition bill).
If you withdraw from Stanford Summer Session (and thus also SVIA) on June 22 at 9 pm or later, your SVIA fee charge will be decided on a case-by-case basis.