Your Summer in Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley Innovation Academy (SVIA) Explore is only offered to confirmed high school students in Stanford Summer Session's High School Summer College. Confirmed undergraduate and graduate students interested in participating can partake in SVIA Enterprise.
How are you going to change the world? The Silicon Valley Innovation Academy (SVIA) provides you with the mindset, skillset, and network you need to invent the future.
Stanford University lies at the heart of Silicon Valley–physically and intellectually. Since its founding, the University has focused on training the next generation of innovative leaders. With a student body drawn from around the world, today’s Stanford is “a place for learning, discovery, innovation, [and] expression.” Whether you already know how you’re going to change the world, or you’re still searching for your passion, SVIA Explore will help you to develop the right mindset and skills needed.
SVIA Explore is a unique opportunity for 80 visiting high school students to experience Silicon Valley through a panel of entrepreneurs and innovators, a site visit to a company building the near-future, and a team-based moonshot sprint. Students will be exposed to the culture of disruptive innovation and will gain valuable knowledge from leading innovators.
Program Descriptions and Schedule at a Glance
During this week’s lunch bash, we’ll hear from a set of leading, young innovators. They’ll describe their recent college experiences, what led them to take the leap, and how they plan to build a better world for all of us.
Clear your calendar, and roll up your your sleeves, as we spend an entire Saturday in a moonshot sprint. This day of team-based, hands-on sprint is our launchpad for the final week of the program.
Week 4: Making It Real
You and your team were challenged at the end of the sprint to “make it real”, which culminates with the innovation showcase. Your team has the opportunity present your future vision, the path you’ve started on, and how you’ll continue to deliver post Stanford.
Breathe It In
The Explore program will visit the offices of a world-leader in “inventing the future.” Transportation will be provided.
Get an insider’s perspective from several leading experts and Silicon Valley icons during a 90-minute panel, in which they will share stories about how Silicon Valley really works.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to SVIA, your only opportunity to do so is within the Summer Session application. SVIA is an enrichment program to supplement the courses you take as apart of Summer Session. Thus, you cannot be in SVIA Explore unless you are also admitted to Summer Session's High School Summer College and taking courses.
You can expect to dedicate about 15 hours throughout four weeks on SVIA. The program spans the first four weeks of the Summer Quarter, June 25–July 20.
There is a $675 program fee for participating in SVIA. Please see the refund schedule below for more information.
Payment and Refund Policy
The $675 SVIA fee will be charged to your University tuition bill.
If you drop SVIA but remain in Summer Session
- If you drop SVIA by June 5 at 8:59 pm Pacific Time, you will not be charged the SVIA fee (or you will be refunded the SVIA fee if you already paid the $675 fee on your tuition bill).
- If you drop SVIA between June 5 at 9 pm Pacific Time and June 25 at 8:59 pm Pacific Time, then you will be charged $337.50 on your tuition bill (or you will be given a $337.50 refund if you already paid the $675 SVIA fee on your tuition bill).
- If you drop SVIA on June 25 at 9 pm Pacific Time or later, you will be charged the full $675 program fee (or you will not receive a SVIA fee refund if you already paid the $675 SVIA fee on your tuition bill).
If you withdraw from Summer Session
- If you withdraw from Stanford Summer Session (and thus also SVIA) by June 25 at 8:59 pm Pacific Time, you will not be charged the $675 SVIA fee (or will be refunded the SVIA fee if you already paid the fee on your tuition bill).
- If you withdraw from Stanford Summer Session (and thus also SVIA) on June 25 at 9 pm Pacific Time or later, your SVIA fee charge will be decided on a case-by-case basis.